Risk Management Presentations
View and listen to these short presentations on risk management and improve your understanding of important liability issues. The links below will open in a new window.
The following nine videos are excerpts from the April 15, 2009 keynote speech at the Oregon Nurses Association Spring Conference as presented by Bruce Dymtrow, CNA Healthpro, and Michael L. Loughran, Nurses Service Organization. The presentation discusses key findings and risk management recommendations from the CNA Healthpro Nurse Claims Study. See the channel listings.
- Top 3 Risk Management Recommendations for Nurses – Overview of the top 3 risk management recommendations for nurses as evidenced by the CNA Healthpro & NSO Nurse Claims Study.
- Severity of Claims: An Overview – This clip is an overview/definition of what is meant by the term severity in regards to professional liability claims against nurses as evidenced by the study.
- Overview: Database & Methodology – This video clip explains the database and methodology behind the study.
- Total Dollars Paid, CNA Healthpro/NSO Nurse Claims Study – This video is an overview of the total dollars paid (expense & indemnity) over a 10 year period for professional liability claims against nurses.
- Severity by Nurse Specialty & Risk Management Recommendations – This video discusses severity of claims against nurses by nursing specialty and provides risk management recommendations for nurses per the study.
- Severity by Location & Risk Management Recommendations – This video discusses severity of claims against nurses by location of the professional liability claim as evidenced by the study.
- Severity by Allegation & Risk Management Recommendations – This is a discussion of severity of professional liability claims against nurses by allegation and includes risk management recommendations for nurses per the study.
- Severity by Injury & Risk Management Recommendations – This is a discussion on severity of professional liability claims against nurses by type of injury, with additional risk management recommendations for nurses per the study.
- Electronic Medical Records – This is the question and answer segment on Electronic Medical Records.
Liability Issues Facing Nursing Professionals
- What is Malpractice? – Malpractice is a type of professional misconduct that any healthcare professional can be sued for. Learn more about malpractice in this short presentation.
- What is Nursing Liability? - Anyone, including nurses, can be sued for malpractice. View our brief presentation explaining different types of nursing liability and valuable steps that can help prevent being named.
- What to do if you are named in a Lawsuit. – Being named in a lawsuit can be frightening. This presentation describes six steps that you should take if a claim is filed against you.
What every Nurse Practitioner Should Know
This eight part series, presented by Melanie Balestra, NP, ESQ. Partner Cummins & White, LLP, provides an extensive overview of risk management and professional liability issues facing today's nurse practitioners.
- Pitfalls in Practice - Avoiding Malpractice - Part 1 of 2
- Pitfalls in Practice - Avoiding Malpractice - Part 2 of 2
- You Can Be Sued
- The New NP Guide - Employer Contracts - Part 1 of 5
- The New NP Guide - Independent Contractors - Part 2 of 5
- The New NP Guide - Malpractice & Disciplinary Action - Part 3 of 5
- The New NP Guide - Risk Management Recommendations - Part 4 of 5
- The New NP Guide - Understanding Billing and Maximizing Revenue - Part 5 of 5