Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

FAQs for Businesses & Practices

Frequently Asked Questions for Nursing Professionals, Businesses & Practices

As a nursing professional, we understand that you may have a few questions about professional liability insurance for your business or practice. In our FAQs section, we help answer your most common questions about coverage, policy changes and why you can trust NSO for all of your professional liability needs. 

1. There are several company names appearing on your advertising and policy material for professional liability insurance. Which one is my insurance company? 

Your insurance company is American Casualty Company of Reading, Pennsylvania, a CNA company. CNA is a registered trademark of CNA Financial Corporation. 

Nurses Service Organization (NSO) and CNA have collaborated to bring you this coverage. NSO, a registered trade name of Affinity Insurance Services, Inc., is responsible for the marketing and administering of this professional liability insurance program. 

2. How does a shared limit policy work? 

A shared limit policy is issued in the name of your professional business or company. The policy provides professional liability insurance coverage for the business entity named on the certificate of insurance and any of the employees of the business entity, provided they are a ratable profession within our program. Coverage is also provided for locum tenens professionals with whom the business entity has contracted for services the locum tenens performs for the business entity. 

The business, and all eligible employees and sub-contractors you regularly employ, will be considered when determining your practice’s premium calculation and share the same coverage limits you select for the business. 

3. We have a shared limit policy through NSO. Will our employees be covered if they practice outside our office? 

The policy covers your employees outside the office as long as they are performing covered professional services on behalf of your business. 

If your employees are moonlighting, either for pay or as a volunteer, they should carry an individual professional liability insurance policy to cover those services. Otherwise, they might not be covered for claims that arise out of these activities. Click here to learn more about our individual coverage or to apply for coverage online. 

4. We have added staff since we began our shared limit policy. Do I have to pay an additional premium for their coverage? (or) We have reduced our staff size since the date we applied. Do we receive a refund for these employees? 

The answer is no to both questions. When a shared limit policy is issued, "a picture" is taken of your company. During the policy year, all employees are covered while they are working for you. In the event new employees are hired, it is not required to report or pay an additional premium for this coverage—new employees are automatically covered. Additional premium will not be charged until the policy renewal, when another evaluation is conducted and the policy is rated for the next year based on this evaluation. Conversely, it is not required to report staff reductions. Extra premium is not collected for new employees, and premium is not refunded for staff that has left your practice.

Four months prior to your renewal, a renewal application will be mailed to your firm so that you can notify NSO of your total staff. A revised staffing count will generate an adjusted billing or premium that will be due upon renewal. 

5. Does my practice’s policy provide coverage for damage to my property caused by fire to my premises?

Your professional liability insurance policy does not provide coverage for direct physical loss or damage to your property or premise due to fire; such coverage should be sought under a fire insurance policy. 

However, if a claim is made against you for damage to the property of another, caused by a fire that is due to your negligence, you may be covered by fire and water legal liability coverage. Such coverage is included under the Workplace Liability Coverage provided by the NSO Program. Fire and water legal liability coverage is intended to provide coverage for a tenant or lessee of a building who agrees under contract to be responsible for the building or a portion of the building that is under his care, custody and control. Included is coverage for property damage liability caused by fire, when the fire is due to the insured's negligence. 

The property damage liability coverage provides up to $150,000 in coverage to a premises in which you do not have a financial or ownership interest. ​


Call 1-800-247-1500

Mon – Fri, 8am – 6pm ET.